Soul Reasonings: the feelings, movements, stirrings and impulses that we feel in our soul, which cause us to act, think and speak.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Carnival Reasonings, Vol. 2... Hot Sun and Riddim

Ok, so we’ve gotten an early jump on my project for February 2010. It’s all good though. Sometimes, when the spirit moves you, you can’t do anything other than go for the ride. With that being said, this post is a bit different from my previous entries. For the first time ever, I have a guest writer. Even more strangely, I didn’t ask him to write a damn thing for me! (Go figure). But Kory is more of my baby brother (who dwarfs me physically, but I digress) than my baby cousin. So if ANYONE gets free reign and first choice in submitting unsolicited material, it would be him. (Btw, unsolicited submissions are always welcomed, helps out when I have writer’s block, but I’m digressing again). Anyway, Kory is the baby cousin who, ahem, “accompanied” me on those lovely 4am trips down to Jouvert. And this is his take on the moment he fell in love with Carnival. I present to you:


All We Need is Hot Sun and Riddim! By Kory Hall

After reading Carnival Reasonings, Vol. 1... Carnival Baby, I was hurtled into a wave of memories that reach its crescendo at approximately 5:30pm on carnival Tuesday back in 1989. Only 8 years old, I was witness to one of the few truly magical moments of Carnival; David Rudder, Charlie’s Roots and Minshall Mas outside De Mas Camp Pub. Any Trini who’s worth a doubles with slight knows exactly what that means. The haunting yet enticing blare of the brass, the beat of the drum, the chant of a man who’s talent is unmistakably blessed, all combined to create a connection to the Tribal roots of this diverse nation of ours.

Now most eight year olds are usually concerned with their next Mario bros fix, but not this day. That day I became one with my country and my culture. It enveloped me. Hugged me and told me I belonged. Like my alcoholic cousin (fuh sure we related), I was often irritated by the grown up need to drag us everywhere they went, but I realized now what they were doing. The intent behind the upheaval of our clueless childhood was to create two more full blooded, mad ass Trinis who would Palance their way into the future with the sole purpose of spreading this seed of bliss to our children. Almost sounds like a body snatchers flick, but who cares.



Well said, Kory. Well said.

5 comments:

  1. well yes! well said is THE understatement!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i probably was on that music truck, which is at the core of what i am going to post about carnival and why my thoughts slant away from the lovely carnival atmosphere on this blog that i prefer not to contaminate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, first phase done. yuh know where to look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry dread. it was a good carnival but a rough one too. will update by the weekend...

    ReplyDelete